February 04, 2006

I Flew Too Close to the Sun and Burnt My Wings

So I have been looking at some other blogs recently. I checked out the one that won the blog award thing. The thing that really strikes me about blogging is that people write a whole lot of messy, weird, often cryptic stuff about themselves and their own lives. As text (god, starting to sound very wanky now) it isn't especially accessible. It seems to me like the author reclaiming ground and making up for lost time. I enjoy the process and the catharsis obviously, but because I am not creating coherent narrative, or even providing points of access necessarily, it is a piece of stuff that is powerfully and necessarily me. So what would Barthes and Foucault have to say about this new style of authorship? The non censorious nature of the blog is interesting too. This kind of writing really allows you to run at the mouth and become very self absorbed. I don't think of it as publishing, I suppose it seems to me like emails to myself, and a forum for my friends to criticise me anonymously. Not really. But I do love the fact that it provides parallel conversations and allows us to explore each other differently. I sometimes feel embarrassed by the fact that I am doing this, in a kind of 'who do I think I am' way. But then, I know that in Australia we generate a 'who are we' kind of culture. It is an amorphous and often awkward identity, and we are sometimes an incoherent disparate group of people who aren't really allowed to feel anything too grand about ourselves. And so at times I feel like I am creating a false self here, but in fact it is a twinned identity, as it is more me than I am in person, yet heavily censored and awkward.

I think I am proud of my blog, because it is the first time I have presented myself to anyone in this way, and felt legitimate doing it. KF has been a huge influence on me with her fantastically powerful sense of 'me-ness' that comes across in (seemingly) everything she does. She has made me feel as if expressing myself in the ways I find meaningful is an acceptable thing to do. I know that sometimes I am terribly rigid and that I find it difficult to change the things that have been long felt. Also, I suffer terribly from embarrassment. I read my book of lists recently, and found a list of things I find embarrassing, one of which was the sound of water being poured from a kettle to a cup. I decided that if I found that book of lists (if I was not me), I would think the person who wrote them was rather weird. But that's ok as AM would say. Anyway, excuse me, I digress....KF has been fantastic for me because of her vitality, openness, strength and intelligence. Often I forget that there are in fact other people out there in the world beyond the ones I know and love. I think this is kind of boring so I'll stop now.

Another thing: it makes me sad that I have written so fucking much on here, and perhaps no one will ever read it all. Perhaps I need to go back to being a ridiculously secretive compulsive diarist? I don't think I have thought enough about purpose.

And I have some more questions for you, crazy little community:

  • do you think that you have any kind of purpose in your life?
  • what boundaries would you never transgress?
  • how often do you feel proud of yourself but aren't able to express it?
  • do you ever feel spiritual?
  • how do you balance modesty and self esteem?
  • what are your biggest sources of pleasure?
  • what associations do you make between different things/conditions that are meaningful? For example an association between love and home (KF, you'll know what I mean here)

6 Comments:

Blogger Mister Horrible said...

I don't think I'll have time to respond here, but a couple of thoughts...
The whoareweness that Australian culture suffers from is not necessarily a bad thing. We are also not as encumbered by the weight of history.
Keep writing. Please.
xxx

9:51 am  
Blogger Emi D said...

Wow, thanks for all the big-ups. To return the compliment, I think your blog is amazing and probably award-winning at some later stage.
Here are my answers at this point in time.

-I think I have purpose... to be me! (Now I'm aware of how "me" I really am... but that's ok).

-I would never transgress... lots of illegal boundaries, especially the ones that hurt people. I would never try to make it in Hollywood. I would never be a ballet Mum. I would never go to Bali.

-I think I usually express when I am proud of myself by insisting that part of friendship is to share both the good and bad bits of our days/ lives. I will talk about things I am proud of then, until I sense that it is not interesting to the other person.

-Yes I feel spiritual at the last bit of my yoga routine when I am sitting cross-legged and put my thumbs in the crease of my elbows behind my back and lean my head forward until it touches the ground and the lady on my yoga DVD is saying "clear your mind of all thoughts" and I usually do and feel that "stillness within" sometimes too.
And in Japan, when I went to Buddhist temples. And sometimes in nature, like driving through the Black Spur. ANd sometimes during sex. And sometimes when I think about death, and Mum, and Emi and things.

-I don't care much about modesty. I prefer to be a bit more American and be honest about things you are good at etc. Being a wanker/ dickhead/ annoying is not ok though. But self-esteem is extremely important and I believe high self-esteem can make a massive difference in what your life may contain. Ideally we should all have high self-esteem and respect for each other just as basic humanism.

-Biggest sources of pleasure? Successes, achievments, sex and kissing and being liked by an attractive being, breakthroughs, laughter (mutual world-view of light-heartedness on certain issues on certain days). Belonging. Creating, witnessing growth of some sort or another, maybe. Blogging!

-Home is meaningful because it can be a space to celebrate where you are at, point to where you are headed etc. I think clothes and outer appearance can serve the same function, with the added bonus of evoking and not just representing those projections/ hopes.
Skincare products reflect self-care, for me. (That's my one main area of indulgence).
What you read and when and why. How you treat your body and your friends is important; what you eat and how much you enjoy it. I think I am getting dizzy in this question.

Love your work, again.

6:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shit dude, I miss you. When are you back? How is Italy? Who is collecting you from the airport? Can I wait on your door step? A month seems like a really long time. Thanks for the text yesterday. I actually was trying to call MP but dialled the other number that is as permanent in my memory. Talk to you soon chook. Loving your work.

6:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, clean sheets are a really important self care thing for me. I get really anal about them. They have to be folded up and sit in the cupboard for at least a day before I can use them. I even have lavender bags in there. I didn't make the lavender bags though, my great aunt did. Did I ever tell you about my "therapeutic" phase after MP and I broke up? It was quite funny. By the way, this is me, IG.

6:09 pm  
Blogger Mister Horrible said...

I arrive around midnightish on the 17thish, i think. I will go strsight to bed, and wake up 2 hours later...in my new home. how odd. see you on the fri, sat or sun...

6:07 am  
Blogger Ian T. said...

do you think that you have any kind of purpose in your life?

I think so, but it's possible to lose focus at times

what boundaries would you never transgress?

Blogwise, I don't blog about my private life or really personal stuff. My morality is personal and absolute, but differs from that of the establishment in a lot of ways.

how often do you feel proud of yourself but aren't able to express it?

I'm not proud that often, and I'm shy in any case.

do you ever feel spiritual?

Constantly - spiritual yes, religious no.

how do you balance modesty and self esteem?

The way I was brought up, conceit is never going to be a problem.

what are your biggest sources of pleasure?

The usual stuff, plus family life, drawing and listening to music.

what associations do you make between different things/conditions that are meaningful? For example an association between love and home (KF, you'll know what I mean here)

To me, everything is interrelated - there is symbolism in all things, though this comes from how you look at it.

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home