January 30, 2006

Un-fine, Un-good and Un-healthy/holy

I have been reading a slightly dreadful yet quite reveal-atory book that KF has leant me. I feel as if I am discovering all sorts of scary things about myself, and that if I am not careful, my entire world/being/reality/history will fall apart.

FUCK

It is a pretty big call I know, but I feel as if I am having some kind of religious epiphany. I suspect that soon I will return to my cynical how can you ever really know ways and decide it was all false. But then who knows, perhaps I will discover the self-help revolution. I know I have a terrible aversion to Americans (they are often quite foul after all), but really, what is up with a nation that lives on ideas of self-help, self-enhancement, lifestyle coaching, personal trainers and motivational speakers? And The Terminator is the Govenor of California. I am not sure if this is hilarious or really scary. I know it is both. At times I love to watch late night infomercials in order to experience some kind of non drug induced altered reality. I love it when they talk about improving the body, or when they come up with ridiculous products that seem revoltingly excessive and decadent. Perhaps a great deal of stuff that comes from that country, or is influenced by that country is excessive, revolting and decadent. Like David Bowie, I'm afraid of Americans.


Went to the Stanley Kubrick exhibition on Sunday. There weren't enough jokes in it (in fact there were none, and I very firmly believe that you need jokes. I don't want to explain this any further, because I feel that if you are some form of sensible human being reading this you'll know what I mean). This is pretty hypocritical really, considering my blog contains very few (if any) jokes. This may be something I need to work on. I think when KF introduced me to blogging I was so excited about being able to SAY SOMETHING LOUDLY and express myself that I forgot that humour is my favourite thing in the world. Really it is.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mister Horrible said...

Christ on a stick. beware the elf help book. especially if it metions jung. run! flee!

1:45 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't tell you how much i agree with Monsieur 'orrable...

9:56 pm  
Blogger ida gasp said...

elf help!! I am not an elf. I know, it is a bit tragic really, and I do believe I am a bit Jung for the self help books, as I believe they are more the substance of older people's lives, who are far more bitter and twisted than I.

10:11 pm  
Blogger Emi D said...

Love that you *link* my initials. Hello people - Mr Horrible - the book is great and, I don't see it as a 'self-help' book - more like a book on a topic (relationships) written by someone with loads of experience and good ideas. That makes you think about it. What's so wrong about that?

2:00 am  
Blogger ida gasp said...

Why has nobody laughed at my Jung joke? Is it not funny? I know it isn't especially original (TISM - Jung Talent Time). I guess I found some of the book a bit conservative. Some of it was useful, but I am always very skeptical.

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home