April 03, 2006

Saturated and Salmon

I go between thinking I should bury myself in a hole and thinking that I should be more "out there" (and bloody hell, what does that actually mean? There are all these 'modern' turns of phrase we use, but I wonder if anyone actually considers specific meaning. Semantics people....I wonder if it is something that has changed over time. Were English speaking people once more concerned? And KF, are Japanese people concerned with exact and specific meanings??? Anyway, I digress....). Last night BS told me that he had been on a tram, and sat next to a young woman whose bag strap was lying on the seat. He moved it, and she said oh sorry, or whatever, and he really wanted to say 'that's ok, I just didn't want your bag strap to go up my arse'. But he didn't. He also went to a pub who had run out of both brandy and Drambuie, and he wanted to ask 'what kind of fucking pub is this?' So he suggested a pact; that we just say those things we feel like saying but don't because we deem it inappropriate or weird. But maybe he and I just are inappropriate and weird. And fuck it, do we really care that much?

We saw a Kim Salmon extravaganza on Saturday night. He played Come on Spring, which nearly made me cry. It was an MP and I song. We loved it many years ago, and then in Tower Records in Dublin, we found it for 50p (unwanted and unloved...), and we were so excited, being two little Australians in the cold north. We played it over and over, because it was one of the few cds we had there. And we danced around, and I remember that there were always some things that made MP a bit teary. That song was one of them. It was such a love song for us. So on Saturday night, I had quite a revolution. I heard the song, and became aware of the expanse of sadness, and then felt a surge of newness and renewal. It is gone, and I don't have to mourn its passing any more. I felt happy in a way that I haven't felt for a long time. It was a different version of the song, it was live, and I was there with someone else.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emi D said...

Nice post lady.
As to the Japanese... well of course you can't be specific in Japanese. Ha! It's designed to be, how shall I say, open to interpretation. Like for example, they often only have one phrase for things we could express a million ways in English. Take "sumimassen". It could mean parden, sorry, it's your fault, it's my fault, it's nobody's fault; I have to leave, I'm confused, I can't stand this anymore, please move that, I will move out of the way and pass me the salt. Depending on the tone. But the true meaning isn't even important in the end. Words aren't regarded that highly. That's why there is no real word in Japanese for "yes". There is just "hai", which means "I have understood". Cool country.

4:18 am  
Blogger Emily Maple said...

Sweet post. Isn't it nice when those emotions happen. Sigh.

11:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home