March 21, 2006

Bewigged and Begloved


Perhaps brightly lit, happy, harmonious, sanitised supermarkets breed a cretinous type of customer? These customers appear to be site-specific, although I know they are not. It is unfair of me to suggest that they are cretinous I know, when really they are just old and crusted. In Safeway in Prahran this morning, with only one check out open, I waited in line behind a string of unusual types. The cashier had yellow tinted glasses and a hearing aid (which made me wonder if he was attempting a Morrissey-style "the NHS is actually cool" thing), and had t hat gormless air of someone who doesn't think very much. (Sometimes I wonder if I should actually be saying these awful things about people, but then it is what I think, and what better place to express all my nasty unkind thoughts than the self-indulgent space of here?) Perhaps he thinks too much and is distracted by it?

I wondered today if perhaps often old women feel differently about money to young women. This is something I thought about in the car on the way to work. The old ladies in front of me at the checkout were not embarrassed to squabble over money, and accuse each other of cheating. One of the women, the one who was most noticeably slumped, had on a coarse blond wig and misplaced make-up. Her neck was dirty with a thick ring of loose skin and grot, almost like a tough rind. Old people have such strange skin, so blotched, wrinkled and multicoloured. It is fascinating and grotesque. Another woman was wearing a short sleeved top yet had on very thick gloves. She was tall and horse-like, with equine teeth and a long face. They were so floral, and I wondered how they would smell. It reminded me of the two women who lived near me at Liverpool St (in Hobart), who were sisters, and whose putrefaction was evident as they walked past our house every day. They were always together, always walking, and always wearing large overcoats, even on warm days. They would stop and talk to Tom, and said to me once that he was like the cat in Sabrina the Teenage Witch. KFG knew about them once she became a nurse, and sadly, told us about how they had died in their eccentric squalor with no running water and no toilet. There was shit (cat and human) throughout the house, and they were sick.

____________________________________________________________________

ART




I think Jenny Holzer is incredible. I saw an exhibition of hers in Hamburg in 2002. I often seem to include art in here. What do you think of this image? It will be on my bedroom wall soon.

Do we all want to lie to back to front with someone who adores us? Am I back to front? Is everyone back to front?

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily Maple said...

Woah! Creepy story. Cool picture.

3:15 pm  
Blogger Emi D said...

I want to. But it scares me a bit too. (Today.)

12:01 am  
Blogger Teutsch said...

Is that a church? Why would you want a dead Jesus in your bed?

2:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home