June 17, 2006

"We're Just Wired That Way"

How do you feel when you are blind? What happens to the thrill that runs through you when you see someone you find attractive? How do you understand your 'self'?

Someone mentioned men wanting to have multiple sexual partners, and someone else responded "we're just wired that way". How many things can I get away with by saying that I am wired to do them? Do I believe that even desire is subject to control and rational thought? I don't know. I'm not sure I know what desire really is. Certainly I don't understand it as a feeling that is divorced from thought. There have been times when I have chosen whether or not to feel. Sometimes I am even too tired to respond, and I wonder why I don't care, and then I feel pleased because I think that I am not ruled by emotional impulses. This isn't true of course, but it provides me with some (minimal) comfort. But then I like to feel, in excess and overload, and I like to desire and feel obsessed and frustrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home