October 03, 2006

Projects

I was listening to some people on radio talk about the environment, and I felt guilty because I was driving at the time (it was a work car though, and I couldn't help that I had to be driving it), and they were talking about individual action (and partially about how ineffectual it is. So what if we reduce plastic bag production by 2 billion a year.....) and collective action, such as writing to local MPs (although it is a nice idea, I can't help feeling as if it is futile). I was thinking about how perhaps I should have a new project, now that Project Blog is drawing to a close. Perhaps I will write to politicians for a year. I was thinking about writing very sensible and reasoned polemic, but then realised that for the sake of 'art' and in a sense, posterity, I would rather write very personal letters about how I really feel about certain things in Australia at the moment. Are politics, art and self really seperable? I'm sometimes concerned that my desire to do things differently arises from a need to distinguish myself from others. Not that this in itself is a bad thing, but there are times when I feel a perverse drive towards alienation, because I want to prove myself to be irrespressible, non negotiable and resistant.

There is a beautiful warm and orange light coming through the window. I felt guilty when the people on the radio were talking about 100 watt light globes. I don't know if I can stand anything less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home